This is my grandmothers recipe that I adapted from sticky rolls to more traditional cinnamon rolls. I will for sure be posting the sticky rolls recipe in full very soon!
- 1/2 cup water warm (around 100F)
- 2 pkgs active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cup milk warm
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 6-7 cups bread flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2-3 tbsp milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Combine water and yeast in mixing bowl. Stir in yeast and let sit for about 5 minutes to dissolve.
- Stir in milk, sugar, salt, eggs, butter and half of the flour. Mix until smooth, about 5 minutes.
- Add enough of the remaining flour until the dough is sticky but able to be handled. (Keep dough as sticky as possible)
- Cover with a damp towel and refrigerate overnight.
- The next morning, preheat oven to 375 F. Grease 9×13 baking dish.
- Mix the brown sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. Melt the butter in a separate bowl.
- Divide dough in half and roll out each half to about 8×12. Brush with melted butter and then sprinkle half the sugar mixture on top.
- Roll the rectangle from the short end, so that the final roll is 8 inches long. Cut into 4 pieces so you have 4 2-inch cinnamon rolls per log. There will be 8 total.
- Place the 8 cinnamon rolls equal distance apart in greased pan. Cover with damp towel and let rise until about double in size, about 45 minutes.
- Bake for about 30-40 minutes, until the tops are browned and the middles spring back when pushed. (You don’t want an undercooked center.)
- While cinnamon rolls bake, mix together the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla. Pour over the warm cinnamon rolls.