These cookies are a twist on the regular coconut macaroons. Instead of a mounds, these are shaped more like cookies and half dipped in dark chocolate. The mix between the sweet and bitter is perfect!
Coconut Macaroons Dipped in Chocolate
- 5 1/3 cups unsweetened coconut (14 oz. bag)
- 1 cup sugar separated into two 1/2 cups
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp. butter melted
- 4 egg whites
- 1 1/2 cup dark chocolate (10 oz. bag)
- Preheat oven to 325℉.
- In a large bowl combine coconut, sugar (1/2 cup), flour, kosher salt, vanilla, and butter.
- With a stand mixer, whisk the egg whites until light and opaque, about 2 minutes.
- Slowly add in remaining 1/2 cup of sugar and let mix for about five minutes until double in volume.
- Fold the egg whites into the coconut mixture, carefully.
- Before dropping the cookies, get the chocolate setup over a double boiler so it can melt while the cookies bake.
- Use the medium, #40 (1 1/2 tbsp), scoop and place on a parchment lined baking sheet pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes, checking halfway through that they are baking evenly. If you need more time, check them every couple minutes until they are just turning brown around the edges. They can start turning rather quickly.
- Leave the cookies on the sheet until cool since they are very delicate.
- Once cooled and the chocolate is melted, dip the cookies in the chocolate and place back on the parchment paper.
- Keep cookies in fridge for the chocolate to harden.
- Cookies will keep in airtight container for up to a week. I keep mine in the fridge so the chocolate won’t melt.