The sweet cookies and the tart lemon curd are the perfect combo in these cookies!
Lemon Drop Cookies
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Remove pan from heat and whisk in the sugar, zest and lemon juice. Then whisk the egg yolks, one at a time.
- Return pan to heat and whisk continuously until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a wooden spoon.
- Strain the mixture into a bowl and press some plastic wrap on top of the curd, touching the surface, and place in the fridge until thickened and cooled.
- Preheat oven to 375℉. 2) Cream together the butter and sugar on medium-high speed until light in color and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla extract until fully incorporated. Mix in flour and salt until the dough comes together.
- Form 1-inch balls and arrange on the baking sheets. I find using the pinky finger as the best way to make the indent in the cookies.
- Put the trays in the fridge for about 30 minutes to firm up. (Do not skip this step because if your dough is too warm it will just melt into blobs that you can not fill.)
- Bake the cookies for about 8-10 minutes, just until they are browning on the bottom slightly.
- Once baked, put cookie trays aside and let them cool completely before filling them.
- Transfer lemon curd into a piping bag with the tip cut off and pipe into the cooled cookies.
- Whisk together the confectioners sugar and lemon juice to make a thick but easily able to drizzle mixture.
- Transfer lemon glaze into a piping bag and cut a small tip off the bottom of the bag. Drizzle across the cookies and let it set.