The perfect spring time dessert! The tangy cream cheese icing against the sweet carrot cupcakes is the best combination!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp grated nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups lightly packed shredded carrots
- 8 oz can crushed pineapple drained
- 3/4 cup raisins tossed with 1 tbsp flour
- 3/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 3 eggs
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 8oz package full-fat cream cheese room temperature
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar sifted
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line two cupcake trays with cupcake liners
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- In another medium bowl, mix together shredded carrots, pineapple, raisins, and coconut.
- In a stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, mix together the eggs and sugar on medium speed until light and thick, about 2 minutes. Add vanilla and oil and beat well. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl down.
- On low speed, add the flour mixture and mix until just barely incorporated. Remove bowl from stand mixture and fold in the carrot mixture.
- Using a #20 scoop or 1/4 measuring cup, scoop the batter into the prepared liners and even out. Bake for about 22-24 minutes, or until cake tester comes out clean.
- Transfer cupcakes to cooling racks.
- In a stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, mix together the cream cheese on low speed for about 2minutes until smooth. Add vanilla extract and mix until incorporated.
- Still on low speed, add the powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, fully incorporating after each 1/2 cup. Scrape bowl before each addition. Be careful not to over mix.
- Icing is best used right away but can be kept in the fridge for up to 3 days.