I’ve been wanting to try making my own vanilla extract for a long time. The time finally came when I saw an amazing deal on vanilla beans that I couldn’t pass up. This is such a rich extract and so easy to make!
Homemade Vanilla Extract
- 5-6 Vanilla Beans
- 1 cup 80 proof Vodka or bourbon, brandy or rum
- 8 ounce bottle/jar with tight seal washed and dried
- Using a sharp knife, split the vanilla bean down the center so the middle is exposed. Place the split beans into the jar.
- Pour the alcohol into jar, using a funnel, until beans are fully emerged. Then seal and shake a few times.
- Store jars at room temperature in a cupboard out of direct sunlight. Shake once every few weeks.
- Vanilla is ready to use after 2 months but is best to wait for at least 6-12 months. Longer it sits, the more depth of flavor you’ll have.
- As you use the vanilla, you can refill with the same liquor to keep the extract going. You can keep it for about a year as long as you keep refilling it. If you aren’t refilling it, remove the vanilla beans completely after first use.
- After a year, if the vanilla is less intense, you can remove the old beans and add news and keep going.