Strawberry and Cream Cheese Danish
- 2 cups strawberries chopped
- 2 tbsp sugar
- pinch nutmeg
Cream Cheese Filling
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 sheets puff pastry thawed
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp water
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp milk
- Mix strawberries, sugar, and nutmeg in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for about 30 minutes until strawberries soften and mixture thickens. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, mix together cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla extract with a hand mixer until creamy. Set aside.
- Place sheets of puff pastry on a lightly floured surface. Using a large round cookie cutter, completely cut out as many circles as you can from each sheet of pasty. Using a cutter two sizes smaller, press down but not all the way through the larger circles. Poke a few holes in the center with fork or knife. This will keep the center from rising too much. Place on prepared baking sheet. (See photo above for reference.)
- Fill each center with about 1 tablespoon of cream cheese filling. Top with a heaping teaspoon of strawberry filing.
- Whisk together egg and water. Brush edges of danish with egg wash.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until edges are golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly on a wire rack. Serve warm.
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients into a thick but smooth-drizzle consistency. (May require more liquid to make the right consistency. You want it to slowly drizzle off the spatula.)
- Transfer mixture to an icing bag or sandwich bag and cut a small tip off the bottom.
- Drizzle over biscotti and let set.
Recipe adapted from A-Kitchen-Addiction