Cherry pie and Memorial Day Weekend were made for each other. The perfect dessert to bring to that BBQ party!
- 4 cups pitted cherries fresh
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp lemon juice fresh
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp almond extract optional
- homemade or store bought pie dough
- 1 egg beaten
- In medium saucepan, combine cherries, cornstarch, lemon juice, salt, sugar, and water over medium heat until mixture starts to bubble. Turn heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla, lemon zest, and almond extract (optional). Cool for 10-15 minutes before using.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Pour filling into prepared pie dough. Add lattice or any decorative top you want over the filling. Brush top with egg wash.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until crust starts to brown on top. If edges begin to brown too early, wrap in foil and continue baking.
- Let cool at least 2 hours before cutting.