While cherries are in season I try and make as much cherries treats as I can. These are a great weekend brunch treat!
- 4 cups pitted cherries fresh
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp lemon juice fresh
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp almond extract optional
- 1 Box Puff Pastry Dough 2 sheets
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 tbsp turbinado sugar optional
- In medium saucepan, combine cherries, cornstarch, lemon juice, salt, sugar, and water over medium heat until mixture starts to bubble. Turn heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla, lemon zest, and almond extract (optional). Cool for 10-15 minutes before using.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Crack egg in a bowl and whisk with a couple teaspoons of water.
- Roll out each sheet of puff pastry until about a 12×12 in square. Cut into four squares. Place 2 hefty tablespoons of filling into middle of square. Brush edges of puff pastry with egg wash and fold over to make a triangle. Crimp edges with fork to keep filling from spilling out.
- Brush tops with egg wash, sprinkle with turbinado sugar and cut two little slits to help vent.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until puff pastry is golden brown.