These caramels and my most requested dessert! I have started sending them out in my Christmas treat boxes and I get calls saying family members are hiding them from each other so no one eats them all. This recipe is super simple and easy!
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter softened
- coarse sea salt
- Line an 8×8 baking pan with parchment paper leaving enough on all sides to be able to lift the caramels out when done.
- Combine the cream, sugar, brown sugar, and corn syrup in a medium heavy duty saucepan. Mix over medium heat, stirring constantly as the sugar dissolves.
- Once the mixture comes to a boil, attach a candy thermometer to the pan. Cook and carefully stir every couple minutes until the temperature reaches 245℉.
- Once the temperature reaches 245℉, remove from heat, stir in salt, vanilla paste and butter until well combined and butter is completely melted.
- Once all mixed in, pour the caramel into the prepared baking pan. Cool for about 10-15 minutes and then top with the coarse sea salt. Allow to cool at room temperature, uncovered, for 4 hours or overnight.
- Once set, remove the caramel and cut. Wrap them each in wax paper.