Something about lemon and blueberry it just so refreshing for a breakfast treat. This coffee cake is full of flavor and a great way to start the day!
Lemon Blueberry Coffee Cake
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour plus 1 tbsp for blueberries
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 cups blueberries fresh or unthawed frozen
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350℉. Line 8×8 or 9×9 square baking pan with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Cream together the butter, lemon zest and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Add half the flour mixture to the batter and beat until combined. Then add in all the buttermilk and combine. 6)Finally add in remaining flour and combine.
- Toss the blueberries in the 1 tbsp of flour. Then fold blueberries into the batter, carefully. It will be a thick batter.
- Spread the batter into the pan. Sprinkle with more sugar, this is optional. Bake for 35 – 45 minutes. Depending on the pan size the time may vary. Test with a toothpick until it comes out clean.